Homes around the world...

I've been back in Finland for little over a month now and time has flown by. As is obvious, I've thrown myself into decorating our new home and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Before I moved to England, I lived with my parents so this is my first own apartment and my personal taste and style are slowly coming along...


What I've really enjoyed about this process is learning more about the way Finnish people decorate their homes and the kind of aesthetics they enjoy. Going from one interior design shop to another, popping into H&M Home and then to Ikea and back has really highlighted the differences between England and Finland.

I'm sure my own style of decorating plays its part in the kind of shops I visit but it seems that this whole "romantic", "rustic", "shabby chic" (however you choose to call it) style is very much the current trend. There are loads of new (and old) shops that all cater for this same style of decorating, various magazines and endless blogs. And as is evident this is also the style that I love and that can also be seen in the homes of most of my friends.



In some ways, the same can be said about England, just minus the magazines. After all, they practically invented shabby chic while decorating their gorgeous little cottages in the countryside but where as a Finn will use white, beige and brown, an English decorator will most often throw in some pinks, greens, blues and even yellows.

I'll never forget the first English house I saw... My first English home that I shared with my two friends while studying at university. We walked in, it was close to midnight and we'd travelled all day to get there and were greeted by a turquoise hallway and stairs, a recently painted magnolia living room that led into an orange kitchen that then ended in the blue and purple bathroom. The three bedrooms were yellow, magnolia and purple. For a Finnish person, this was quite a departure from the homes we'd had before.

Obviously, both countries have as many styles of decorating as there are people but I do think, and this is not me being biased, that Finns and Scandinavians in general have a very strong personal style with which they set up their homes. Whether it's the rustic and romantic or the other popular style, modern and sleek with clean lines and Scandinavian designer furniture, it's always done to the highest quality and with the best materials.

My friend in America bought a house a while back and has been decorating it and keeping me updated with pictures as she's gone along. I absolutely love what she's done to the house and you can clearly see that she's an American as her taste and style reflect that. It seems all countries have their own distinct features and though some are more prominent than others, they're all equally intriguing.

I can't wait to continue my journey, to learn more about decorating and continue to observe the unique quirks of each country and the homes that their people live in. I hope to write more about it soon...

Comments

Popular Posts