This week I love...

Hi to all! The working week has reached it's end and it is Friday. Yay! I just love Fridays. Not only because you know there's a two day rest ahead but also because on Fridays it's time to go to the sauna and relax or go clubbing, drink and dance the night away. Well, there's been a little less of the latter lately but perhaps someone else goes a bit more?

And it's a day when careful planning for the weekend takes place. For me, this usually means choosing which flea markets to go to. Ha hah!! I'm going to two on Saturday - Pia's market on Sat morning (don't forget!) and after that Radiokirppis in Salo. Plus I'm going to go and help continue with the get-the-summer-cottage-ready-for-summer project with my mum and dad. And Sunday is of course, Mother's Day. I have made an awesome gift for my mum. Can't tell too much about it as she might be reading this but I'll take a picture and post it later so you can see it too.

Right, let's get this show on the road, people...

1. I am totally, completely and utterly in love with mint. I don't mean the herb or the ice cream flavour but the colour. I love it in everything - from jewellery, nail polish and dresses to cushion covers, candles and everything in between. It seems to be everywhere this spring and I too, have fallen for its charms. It's just so cute and fresh! Have you got anything mint at home?
I picked some pictures from my Pinterest account to share with you and I hope there's some other mintaholics out there, too.



2. I absolutely adore these House Doctor's jars with the measurements on them in big bold letters. I would love to have lots of these and fill each one with different ingredients - flour, sugar, pasta etc. And I was quite surprised to find that they were reasonably priced - from 4 - 6€ accordign to size.

Look out for a DIY coming here soon where you can make similar (but little bit more awesome) jars yourself.


3. Speaking of DIY... This week I have come across an idea I cannot believe I didn't think of before. Silly me!! It is so easy and absolutely everyone can do this. And it only requires a can of spray paint. The choice of colour is obviously up to you but in this case it is silver.
I love silver in decorating and these would go so well in my home. I also want to try this with linen cushion covers. H&M Home had a cushion cover a few years ago that had been painted (or spray painted) silver and I thought it was amazing. Well, I didn't have access to it then so missed out and now I want to make it myself and this was just the inspiration I needed.

So, here's what to do:
  • Get some baskets - any shape, size or material and make sure they're clean.
  • Then simply spray them as evenly as you can, preferably using two or three thin layers/coats rather than one thicker one. Now that it's warm outside, you don't even have to make a mess inside.
  • And voila - you have yourself some amazing storage that you're happy to keep out for everyone to see.


 4. I wrote about giftwrapping the other week and now I'm extending the theme to decorations. As I'm sure we all do, I clean the house properly first. Then I choose my theme around which the decorations will be built upon. You should consider the reason for the party - is it a birthday party, an engagement party or a wedding or maybe a christening - and choose your decorations accordingly.

I have chosen three different kinds of decorations that you can use on a variety of parties. The best part is they're very easy to do and rather cheap too.

This one is by far the easiest. All you have to do is buy the paper lanterns. And you don't have to settle for white ones, you can pick any colour. To decorate them, just add the butterflies. Double sided tape or glue will help with attaching them.

You could just as easily use flowers, hearts or whatever fits the party. I think this kind of decor would be great at any type of summer party and works just as well in the garden as it does in the kitchen.


I really like this one. I wish I'd seen this idea before my dad's 60th in February. It's such a simple idea but definitely creates a talking point and it's something that everyone will enjoy. To do this you can use black and white photos for a simple and modern look or for a more colourful environment normal photos will do just fine. This is great for birthday parties but would be equally great for an anniversary party.

This romantic decoration is simple to do and won't break the bank. Doilies have been attached to a string and put up over the table. You could use them like this or how about stamping letters or texts to them? Or decorating them with a hint of colour or sparkle? A perfect decoration for a wedding or a christening.









5. Have you heard of Siivouspäivä (Cleaning Day)? It's a brand new event in Finland. It follows the same concept as the Restaurant Day where anyone can have a pop up restaurant for one day and was inspired by a similar event in Holland on Queen's Day. It is a day that will transform Helsinki to a great, big flea market for one day. And that day will be tomorrow, 12 May.

The idea is that everyone can sell their unwanted things outside their house without having to go to a flea market, book a table etc. So, tomorrow mini flea markets will be popping up all around Helsinki. There will be bigger areas as well concentrated around parks and squares where you can see a lot more on one go. The day is all about bringing people together, recycling and will no doubt be based heavily on the idea of "another man's trash is another man's treasure". For more information, visit the website here.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to go (thanks to the work camp at the summer cottage) but I definitely recommend that you do and if it is a similar success to Restaurant Day there will no doubt be many more Cleaning Days coming up...

HAVE A FABULOUS WEEKEND!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts