This week I love...

I wish it was summer already... It would be properly warm, not just sunny that looks warm but as you get outside the wind almost blows your hair off. I could stay at the summer cottage, go to the sauna twice a day, relax and do little trips to nearby towns. But that time is not quite here yet. I guess I need to wait for a few more weeks. So, let's concentrate on the time at hand, Friday! And what does Friday bring... ideas, pictures, inspiration and laughter, I hope. Let's have a look at this Friday's list...

1. Have you seen any good decorating books around lately? At one point there were loads but lately I haven't seen any. One of the "new" books that I saw in a magazine was Atlanta Bartlett's Pale And Interesting that has now been translated into Finnish (Hillittyä kauneutta). I've had that book for well over a year so I was not too impressed with it being portrayed as something new.

So, to find something actually new, I had a look at my favourite website, The Book Depository, where I often search for books and found these fabulous newcomers...

Flea market chic: the thrifty way to create a stylish home (CICO Books)

This book will offer lots of new ideas and help to spot the "right" items and see the potential when browsing through flea markets.

"A smart way to decorate, by adding texture, colour and depth to contemporary interiors through a range of styles, from new Victoriana to mid-century modern and eighties revival - all collected from fleamarkets, thrift stores, junk shops and charity shops."

The book costs about 20€ and delivery worldwide is free!


The Natural Home: Creative Interiors Inspired by the Beauty of the Natural World (Ryland, Peters & Small Ltd) 

This book is written by Hans Blomquist and I have mentioned him in this blog before as he often (or maybe always, can't be 100% sure) styles H&M Home's catalogue shoots and I absolutely love his work!!!

"The Natural Home is a place where natural materials and motifs are the key elements of a decorating style that is a joy to live with and a joy to behold. Influential art director and stylist Hans Blomquist starts off by exploring the essence of his style."

This book is 20€ as well and going straight onto my wishlist.


2. Remember, when I was ranting about the Blogistania programme a little while ago? Well, now an actually watchable and interesting episode has finally aired. The episode featured an interior blogger, Jonna, who writes a blog Musta tuntuu. Her minimalistic style isn't exactly to my taste but I like to look at different blogs for ideas on blogging as well as decorating. You can visit the blog here.
The episode also showed some of her friends that included other bloggers and I was happy to find that I already follow one of their blogs. Weekday carnival combines fashion, design, decorating and diy. The style is quite modern, at least for my taste, but I really like the DIY tips. You can find Weekday Carnival here.

3. This weeks' DIY tip comes straight from the fascinating world of Pinterest (where else). :) I saw these bottles/jars and though this particular shade of turquoise is a little bright for my liking I thought the idea was great.

If you've painted a wall for example with a pale pink shade, you can use the same shade for the bottles and get an instantly matching look. Perfect for me, as I like to be very matchy matchy. Ha hah!

It's very easy to do as well so anyone can have a go. And you can start with an empty jar of jam or pickles that you just finished to try out the technique and thickness of paint. You can then move onto the bottles that you actually want to put on display. I will definitely be trying this out very soon...


4. I think all of us have, at some point, been looking at estate agents windows dreaming of a home that you either can't afford or it's simply in the wrong place, country even.

Lately, I have found myself looking at websites of Swedish estate agents. And it seems I'm not the only blogger doing this... However, I have no intention of moving to Sweden but I absolutely love looking at pictures of homes in Sweden. Finnish people have always been a bit jealous of our western neighbours - and now there's another reason to be jealous. Their homes.

My favourite this week has been this amazing old villa conversion, for sale in Gothenburg. If YOU want to move here, you can find the information by clicking yourself to the estate agent here.

I love the kitchen. It's a Kvänum. Obviously. But in addition to the units, I am in love with the flooring. And the lights. And the stove. I think I've made my point now.


You can't see much of the bedroom but what you can see is loads of storage, old beams and beautiful wooden floors. *sigh*


The bathroom is simply beautiful. The exposed beam adds character and gives the otherwise polished space a rustic feel. Small but perfectly formed.


5. Number five this week is again another amazing flea market. Last week's event covered the whole of Helsinki, this week it's in a gorgeous part of town with old wooden houses and beautiful atmosphere.

Puu-Vallila, is holding it's traditional, annual flea market where its residents set up stalls for the weekend and open up their yards for people to come and have a look while shopping. I think this event is much more about getting to have a look at the houses and yards than it is about the shopping. At least it is for me! So, let's hope tomorrow will be sunny. And don't forget, tomorrow is also Restaurant Day when anyone can set up a little pop up restaurant for a day. Enjoy!!

For more info on the flea market, click here.

HAVE AN AMAZING, SUNNY WEEKEND!!!

Comments

Popular Posts